Live-In Care Services
Are You Worried About Leaving Your Loved One Alone Because of Current Physical or Cognitive Challenges?
Our live-in care service can be an economical approach to remaining in your own home safely, and with support. Many seniors today compare the costs of relocating to a retirement residence or assistant living facility with “aging in place” in the comfort of their own home. Beyond comparing costs of a retirement home versus staying at home, establishing live-in care to allow your parents to remain in the comfort of their own home has added benefits:
- Do your parents like to garden? Do they have a garden and like to sit out there? Although many facilities have gardens, there is value in being able to look out into your own garden, be able to tend to it whenever you like, and have easy access to the garden. Our live-in caregivers help with gardening, potting plants, and will assist your parents in getting out into their garden and enjoying it as much as possible.
- Do either of your parents have dementia? Most Alzheimer Societies will advise that staying at home is the best care for someone with dementia. Being in the familiarity of their own home is an excellent way to provide comfort and security to your loved one, however, families need support and help to do this. Staying at home with a family caregiver can only go on for so long before outside help is needed to prevent the family from burning out. Retire-At-Home services Toronto and North York can provide live-in care to take over the major day to day care giving and provide relief and peace of mind to families.
- Have your parents lived in their home for a very long time and derive comfort from their house? This is the case for many people, and sometimes parents just want to stay home. The quiet comfort of their home is sometimes more appealing than the social and exposed construct of a retirement home. It is understandable, and we can help you execute the wishes of your parents.
If your mother and father have decided they would like to explore the possibility of getting live-in care, Retire-At-Home Services Toronto and North York has two options for you to consider.
Option 1. Comprehensive Live-in Care Program
The most comprehensive care we can offer is to provide two or three live-in caregivers who will split their time working with your parents. Our staff will deliver our full suite of services—from meal preparation and housecleaning to personal care and activities. Our Client Care Manager will work with you to build a care plan that ensures mom and dad are safe, happy, and comfortable.
Our Live-In Care plan includes, but is not limited to:
- Friendly visits to provide companionship
- Activities and light exercises
- Escort for errands like grocery shopping, community events, and getting to and from appointments on time
- Light housekeeping and meal preparation
- Bathing; a calm, relaxing, and safe way to be clean and fresh
- Toileting; including incontinence briefs
- Grooming; shaving, hair setting, getting dressed for the day
- Mobility; ensuring safe movement and transfer to places of comfort inside the home
- Medication reminders
- Feeding; ensuring strength is maintained with balanced meals
- Palliative Care (Please see our Palliative Care)
- Nursing Care (Please see our Home Nursing Services for a complete list of what our nurses can do for you)
Our comprehensive live-in care program is managed by a Registered Nurse who will provide an assessment and on-going monitoring at no additional cost.
Option 2. Live-in Care Recruitment Program
Some of our clients chose to employ and manage their parents’ caregivers themselves, but the families lack the time and tools to find an appropriate caregiver for live-in care. We will meet with you and your parents to determine what qualities and characteristics you are seeking in a live-in caregiver.
Our Live-In Care Recruitment Program includes:
- Initial consultation
- Job description and Caregiver profile
- Applicant screening with phone and in-person interviews
- Coordination of the interview process (once we have the top two candidates)
- Reference checks completed
- Criminal record check completed
Assistance with helping you become an employer including:
- Payroll source deductions
- Obligations to Federal and Provincial Tax agencies
- Tips for managing a successful care plan